Friday, March 20, 2009

Easy Fruit Salad


Sunny doesn't like fruits. Or rather, doesn't eat fruits. Leading a solitary hardworking bachelor life away from the parental home attached him to fast, filling and easily-available food on the go, and fruits figured nowhere in this list. Except of course the much revered banana - fast to peel and good(?) to eat. Apples and oranges didn't count - apples can't be eaten without having been nicely peeled(!), sliced and presented on a platter, and oranges are just too much of a bother. Most men don't think of food in terms of nutrition value and so the compulsion to buy and eat fruit, if it isn't readily available in the house, is not there for them. Such is the case of my darling husband too.
I, on the other hand, am an avid fruit lover. I fact I can't survive without having eaten some fruit or the other every day. Early in our childhood our parents ensured that we had a steady supply of fresh vegetables and fruits at our home, and so despite being non-vegetarians we dearly love our fruits and vegetables as well.
One of the problems/inconveniences that I faced when I started living with Sunny after our marriage was that there was no fruit for me to eat at our house. He would buy loads of fresh veggies and fish every week, but never ventured to bring home any fruit. Despite repeated reminders he would forget, and the situation became so tough that I started craving bananas, which is the only fruit that I absolutely detest! So one fine morning I decided that enough was enough and went ahead and brought home a huge bag of oranges, grapes, pomegranates, cranberries (Beyr) and Kool, and served them washed and nicely arranged in a plate to Sunny. Imagine my consternation when he took one bite and refused to eat any more saying that they were too sour. The fruits were juicy and sweet, but to a palate unaccustomed to their slight fruity acidity they would obviously taste sour. Neanderthal!

Anyways, I happily polished off my plate of ripe lusciousness, but my mind was in a frenzy trying to work out some way of making this grown-up obstinate child like all the goodness that he was missing out on simply because of an apparent sourness. Voila! Inspiration struck, and I came up with a concoction that has him literally licking his fingers and asking for more every time I serve it to him. It is simple and common enough, probably many of you already make it yourself.

Fruit Salad
Ingredients

1. Fruits - any combination/type will do: oranges, sweet limes, grapes, strawberries, pomegranates, bananas, chikoos, apples - all nice washed, pitted/hulled and peeled as needed (leave the peel on on apples). Dice into bite-sized pieces.
2. Sweetened condensed milk - 1 can

Directions

1. Combine all the diced fruit in a large bowl. I only had strawberries and grapes this time, but they more than sufficed. Aren't they pretty?

2. Pour in the condensed milk and lightly mix with a slotted spoon so that all the fruit is thoroughly covered.

3. Chill for at least an hour and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment